Read Write Inc Phonics at Copperfield
At Copperfield Academy, we use the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme to get children off to a flying start with their English. RWI is a method of learning centred around letter sounds and phonics, and we use it to aid children in both their reading and writing.
Reading opens the door to learning. A child who reads a lot will become a good reader. A good reader will be able to read more challenging material. A child who reads challenging material is a child who will learn. The more a child learns, the more he or she will want to find out.
Using RWI, the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into composing what they write.
When using RWI to read the children will:
- learn that sounds are represented by written letters
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn how to blend sounds
- learn to read words using Fred Talk
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions
When using RWI to write the children will:
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds
- learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk and using their Fred Fingers to spell
- write simple sentences
So that you are able to support your child’s learning at home, please take some time to explore the links below (copy the link into your browser) to see videos and examples of how RWI is taught. There are about 20 videos showing you everything from Top 10 Tips, ‘Things to Think About’ to Blending, Handwriting, Handwriting Phrases, How to Say the Sounds, Blending and Spelling – take a quick look so that you can follow the way we teach it at school – you become the experts!!
Our Read Write Inc Lead Teacher in school is Mrs Lucas. If you have any queries or would like to discuss our phonics programme further, please do not hesitate to contact her.
The above website has access to free e-books and other resources, all associated with the RWI Scheme, including:
Speed Sounds practice sheets
Free eBook library
Parent tutorial videos